Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dreaming Big (Morning After blog)

Posted originally at SEx - Silver Expressions on the Liquid Silver Books website.

Oh. My. Gods. Dreams really do come true. Not just any dream, or someone else’s dream, but my dream. The dream I’ve had since I was a little girl. The dream of becoming a published author…of having my name on the cover of a book. That dream came true yesterday.

Like many others, I’ve written my whole life. Poems, articles, newsletters, even stories. I was making my way through the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in 2007, working away on a light-hearted romance, when suddenly it took a sharp turn into a dark tale filled with erotica and immortal love. I sat there staring at the words on the screen. Shocked. At that moment, I realized that was what I needed to be writing. At the end of the month, I was a NaNoWriMo winner…meaning I had successfully written 50,000 words in 30 days. Unfortunately, those words were stops and starts, freewriting, random scenes, and a lot of jumping around. After three months of trying to untangle the mess and create what I wanted for the story, I had to set it aside and start something new. It was a difficult decision to make.

It was soon after making that decision that my best friend said to me: “I don’t think you’re ever going to finish writing something that I can read.” That’s right. A challenge issued by my best friend. What could I do? I met that challenge. In less than three weeks the first draft of Open Proposal was in her hands.

In case you’re wondering about the book that got set aside…it hasn’t been forgotten. It’s a great story and deserves to be told in the form of an erotic paranormal called The Secrets of Stone House. Look for that sometime in the future.

Right now, I’m finishing up the first draft of Salvage my Heart, Book 1 of a trilogy, while the characters of Book 2, Tattered Hearts, wait impatiently for the chance to tell their story.

I’m ecstatic to be writing a Morning After blog for Open Proposal. Samantha, Eve, and Roman will live forever in the secret place in my heart where dreams grow.