Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Comfort foods

The other day my daughter (who has been on her own for several years now) told me that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches never taste as good at her house as they do at mine. She said it really didn't make sense because the bread was the same, as were the peanut butter and the jelly. As we talked a bit more about this she told me that there were also certain things that she loved to eat at my home, but she didn't buy for her own place. Hmm.

This conversation that really had to do with nothing really important, but was interesting just the same. It also made me wonder about some of the things that I grew up eating, but never made for my own family.

The first thing that came to mind was meat loaf. Let's just say that, try as I did, I never could get it to taste like my mom's. And the pb& j's that I make now are made on wheat bread (rather than the white I grew up on) and I use only jams now. (If I never eat grape jelly again, I'll be completely content.)

Do you find that you eat the same things as when you were growing up, or have you gone down a completely different road? Are there certain foods that just taste better when enjoyed in the place where the memories were made -- like my daughter's pb& j's?