Sunday, June 21, 2009

Calling cards

The idea of a calling card, also known as a visiting card, used during the late 18th and early 19th centuries has always intrigued me. If you wanted to make the acquaintence of someone, you went to their home and left a card.

Of course, just as with our modern day Facebook, Myspace, and emails, there was a very definitive set of rules that went along with the custom. Each folded corner held a different meaning, and the manner that the card was delivered was also noted. Was it presented to the occupant of the home by the card owner or did a servant deliver it? Was the card engraved or printed?

Modern day business cards have their place and serve a purpose, but as an author I am my business. What I want is an easy-to-carry-and-keep, attractive remembrance that will pique the curiosity, compelling the holder to go directly to my website: the cornerstone of my business.

This week, it addition to assembling my product (writing), I will also be designing a calling card. Be sure to follow this blog and you'll be the first to see it.

Are there any customs or rituals that you've introduced into your way of living? I'd love to hear about them.