Monday, July 6, 2009

Healthier than I thought

This column was in the Woman's Day (6/16/09 iss., p. 44) and I found it somewhat reassuring. Hell, there are so many different things that we're supposed to or not supposed to do to maintain a healthy body and mind, sometimes it's overwhelming to even take the first step. In reality, you may be doing more good than you thought, just by doing activities in a typical day.

5 Signs you're healthier than you think

1. You have several cups of coffee each day A recent Swedish study found that people who drink 3 to 5 cups of coffee daily at midlife are less likely to develop dementia and Alzheimer's later on. (I usually drink 1-3, so I guess it's time to step it up.)
2. You say "thanks" A new study reveals that expressing gratitude may be the key to happiness and overall well-being. (This is something I do routinely, without thinking about it at all.)
3. You laugh a lot Research has shown that laughter expands blood vessels and might even lower your heart attack risk. (I love to laugh!)
4. You tidy up your house Just 20 minutes of sweeping, scrubbing and doing other household chores can boost your mood, not to mention burn calories. (Could step it up a bit on this one.)
5. You surf the Internet UCLA research shows that it stimulates brain activity. (Finally, a study that justifies my addiction!)